- West Indies and America
2. Congo-Peripatus or Mesoperipatus
- Congo district of West Africa
3. Chilo-Peripatus or Opisthoperipatus
4. Capo - Peripatus or Peripatopsis
6. Melano-Peripatus or Para peripatus
7. Austroperipatus or Osperipatus
Peripatus is terrestrial animal. It lives under stones; bark of trees and in shady places. It is nocturnal in habit.
The integument exhibits large number of wrinkles or ring like constructions which are superficial. The skin is soft and bears many minute papillae and bristles along the mid-dorsal line of the body. It produces slimy secretion which is protective and helps in capturing the food organisms.
Appendages: Each segment contains a pair of appendages. Each appendage shows 2 parts. 1) A conical proximal leg. 2) A short distal foot with a pair of horny claws. The leg shows 2 spiniferous pads at its distal end. The leg bears rigns of papillae with bristles. The foot is attached to the distal end of the leg. All the appendages are hollow.
- Presence of worm like body with bilateral symmetry.
- Presence of thin flexible cuticle.
- Absence of distinct head region.
- Presence of dermomuscular body wall with circular and longitudinal muscles.
- Presence of a pair of simple eyes on the dorsal side of head.
- Presence of hollow stumpy appendages in the trunk segments.
- Presence of muscular pharynx.
- Presence of short stomodaeum and proctodaeum regions of alimentary canal.
- Presence of salivary glands which are modified Nephridia.
- Presence of paired Nephridia in every segment.
- Presence of segmentally-arranged coxal glands which are homologous with settiparous glands of chaetopods.
- Presence of cilia in the reproductive ducts.
- Presence of a chitinous cuticle.
- Presence of jointed appendages arranged one pair in each segment.
- Presence of jaws in the mouth which are modified appendages.
- Presence of haemocoel.
- Presence of colourless blood.
- Presence of long, tubular and dorsal heart enclosed by pericardium.
- Presence of tracheal system with stigmata.
- Presence of tubular gonads around the gut.
- Presence of superficial segmentation of the body.
- Presence of one pair of jaws in the mouth cavity.
- Presence of trachea which open out with diffused stigmata.
- Presence of a ladder like nervous system.
- Presence of velvety skin.
- Genital organs are arranged in a manner which is not seen in any other animals.