General Characters of Protozoa
Login to get unlimited free access
- Protozoa Body all protozoans are unicellular Hyman called them accelular.
- Protozoa Symmetry: will show radial symmetry in some organisms, bilateral symmetry in some organisms& some organisms are asymmetrical.
- Protozoan’s may live singly or some are colonial.
- Protozoa body wall: these animals body covered by cell membrane which contain proteins and lipids.
- Some animals may be covered by Pellicle. Some animals covered by shell Ex : Elphidium.
- Protozoa Osomo Regulation :In fresh water animals contractile vacuole is present. It is useful for osomo regulation. in marine and parasitic protozoans contractile vacuole is absent.
- Food vacuole will work as temporary stomach.
- Locomotion Protozoa: protozoa amimals will show locomotory organelles like flagella. pseudopodia.cilia etc.
- Nutrition in protozoans is by holozoic, holophytic. saprophytic, coprozoicetc.. Some protozoans are parasites.
- Respiration is by diffusion
- Excretion is by diffusion
- In Protozoa Asexual Reproduction is by binary fission, multiple fission, budding etc.,
- In Protozoa Sexual Reproduction is by syngamy. Conjugation etc.
- During unfavorable condition - the protozoa’s will develop cyst around themselves.
- In some the life cycle is complicated with asexual and sexual phases