- Dayyal Dg.
- Published: 26, Aug, 2017 | Updated: August 26, 2017
- Clinical Pathology
The agents used for measurement of GFR are:
- Exogenous: Inulin, Radiolabelled ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid (51Cr- EDTA), 125I-iothalamate
- Endogenous: Creatinine, Urea, Cystatin C
- A small amount of creatinine is secreted by renal tubules that increase even further in advanced renal failure.
- Collection of urine is often incomplete.
- Creatinine level is affected by intake of meat and muscle mass.
- Creatinine level is affected by certain drugs like cimetidine, probenecid, and trimethoprim (which block tubular secretion of creatinine).