Medically reviewed and approved by a board-certified member
Allergies

What are the effects of black mold exposure?

BS Media
By BS Media
Published: Monday, 22 October 2018
BS
Login to get unlimited free access
Be the first to comment!
Table of contents
  1. Overview
  2. Black mold poisoning
  3. How dangerous is black mold to health?
  4. Diagnosis
  5. Treatment
  6. Getting rid of mold
  7. bar
  8. Takeaway
Black mold can infest homes or other buildings, especially in damp areas. long-run exposure to black mold is possibly
harmful to health and may cause a range of symptoms.

In this article, we explain what black mold is and look at the personal effects it can have on a person's health. We besides discuss how to treat and prevent black mold exposure.

What is black mold?


Some molds can release mycotoxins.

Black mold is a type of plant that is very dark green or black and often has a distinct musty or damp, mildewy smell.

Black mold can be one of several different species of plant, including Stachybotrys chartum.

It tends to grow on surfaces that contain a lot of polysaccharide, so much as fibreboard, wood, mineral board, or paper. The mold prefers damp, warm environments, and it can grow wherever the conditions are right.

Black mold often thrives in wet areas, so much as bathsuite, laundry suite, and shower cubicles. It may besides appear following a burst pipe or flooding, when it can grow in areas of a building that a person cannot easily see, so much as between wall layers or underneath floorboards or carpets.

These molds are not dangerous in themselves, but they can release harmful toxins into the encompassing environment. Inhaling these toxins may lead to certain health personal effects and symptoms. People with metabolism organ illness or weakened immune systems tend to have a higher risk of experiencing these personal effects.

What is black mold poisoning?

Black mold poisoning is a form of mycotoxicosis, which may occur if a person breathes in too galore mycotoxins over an extended period. Mycotoxins are the toxins that some molds release.

The symptoms of black mold poisoning can appear similar to those of an upper metabolism tract infection, so much as the flu or common cold. People with other health conditions or a weakened immune system may experience more severe symptoms.

Symptoms

The symptoms of black mold exposure may include:

  • coughing
  • wheezing
  • a stuffy nose
  • a fluid nose
  • red eyes
  • itchy skin or eyes
  • a sore or itchy throat
  • nosebleeds

Black mold exposure can besides possibly worsen the symptoms of other metabolism conditions. For example, a person with asthma attack or a metabolism allergic reaction may find that their symptoms worsen or they experience new symptoms, so much as:

  • persistent coughing
  • headaches
  • frequent chest colds
  • difficulty breathing
  • allergic reactions
  • inflammation of the sinuses
  • general fatigue and lethargy

In rare cases, long-run exposure to high levels of these toxins may lead to more severe symptoms, including:

  • memory loss
  • trouble concentrating
  • sensitivity to light
  • anxiety
  • nerve issues, so much as numbness in the hands and feet
  • general pain and cramps
  • unexplained weight gain
  • anxiety

At-risk groups

Some people may have a higher risk of developing symptoms than others. At-risk groups include people with:

  • asthma attack
  • seasonal allergies, so much as hay fever
  • mold allergies
  • chronic clogging pneumonic illness (COPD)

People with a weakened immune system besides have a higher risk and may need to take extra care to avoid black mold exposure.

Black mold exposure may be more harmful in children. According to the Centers for illness Control and bar (CDC), some research suggests that young children who inhale mold toxins early on in life may be more likely to develop asthma attack. This seems to be more of an issue in children with a family history of asthma attack, but extra research is necessary to understand the risks better.

How dangerous is black mold to health?


For people with metabolism conditions, inhaling black mold toxins may trigger flare-ups.

Black mold exposure has the potential to be harmful in the long term, particularly in people with metabolism conditions and other risk factors. nevertheless, there are galore exaggerated claims of the dangers of black mold on the internet.

In otherwise healthy people, short-run exposure to mycotoxins is unlikely to cause harm. It generally takes time and consistent exposure to black mold for symptoms to develop.

In people with metabolism conditions, so much as COPD, asthma attack, and metabolism allergies, inhaling black mold toxins may have the potential to worsen symptoms or trigger flare-ups.

Diagnosis

The main symptoms of mold poisoning are common to other metabolism disorders, which can make diagnosing difficult.

If a doctor suspects that a person's symptoms are due to the inhalation of mold toxins, they may order a test to check the levels of mold in their home.

A doctor may besides recommend allergic reaction tests or blood tests if they think that an individual has a mold allergic reaction.

Blood tests involve taking a small sample of the person's blood and caexploitation it to a laboratory for analysis. Doctors use these tests to check for the presence of specific antibodies that the immune system produces in response to mold toxins. They may besides check for the mold toxins themselves.

Skin prick tests are a standard method of allergic reaction testing and can help determine whether a person is allergic to mold.

During this test, a health care professional will place a drop of liquid containing the mold onto the skin on the individual's arm or back. They will then prick the skin below the drop with a small needle. If the person is allergic to the mold, an itchy, red rash will normally develop inside a short time.

What are the best essential oils for allergies?
Essential oils are a popular natural remedy for treating allergies. Learn more here.
Read now

Treatment

If a person's symptoms are due to a mold allergic reaction, the following treatments may help:

  • Antihistamines. These medications are available some over-the-counter (OTC) and by prescription. They come in a range of forms, including tablets, nasal sprays, and eye drops. A person can use antihistamines to treat symptoms and prevent allergic reactions.
  • Decongestants. A person can use OTC decongestants, so much as alkaloid (Sudafed), for the short-run relief of blocked nasal passages.
  • Steroids. These medications can help reduce inflammation of airways and relieve rashes. Steroid medications are available as sprays, drops, creams, or tablets. nevertheless, some are only available on prescription.
  • therapy. besides best-known as allergic reaction shots, therapy builds a person's tolerance to an substance by exposing them to bit by bit increasing amounts. therapy is a long-run treatment that requires regular injections over several months.

Getting rid of mold


Thoroughly removing mold can help with long-run relief from symptoms.

For the long-run relief of symptoms from mold allergies or poisoning, it is essential to avoid or reduce exposure to black mold. This may require thoroughly removing mold from all of the surfaces in a person's home or place of work and taking steps to prevent it from returning.

There are galore commercial cleansing products available that can kill mold and help prevent its return. as an alternative, people can make a cleansing solution at home by adding 1 cup of family bleach to 1 gallon of water. It is vital to use protective gloves and eyewear when handling bleach or harsh cleansing products.

People will need to wholly clean the entire room or area and ensure that they eliminate all signs of the mold. They should besides dry the surfaces properly to avoid future contamination.

It is better to clean all filters, vents, and ducts, if possible, to prevent mold growth in air learning systems and wetifiers.

Porous items with a mold infestation, so much as mattresses, carpets, or wallboard, may be challenging to clean. It may be necessary to replace these, where possible, or to hire a professional cleaner.

While cleansing, it is important to ventilate the room as much as possible by opening doors and Windows or turning on fans.

Preventing mold

People can prevent or minimize future mold contamination by:

  • Regularly cleansing any areas where mold is likely to grow, so much as bathsuite, showers, and damp suite.
  • Using a dewetifier to reduce the amount of wet in the air, particularly in areas where damp is a problem. Mold tends to thrive in places that are wet, wet, or some.
  • Keeping all walls and surfaces dry.
  • Keeping suite warm and well-ventilated during cold or wet weather.
  • Fitting and exploitation exhaust fans in damp areas, so much as bathsuite and kitchens, and avoiding putt carpets or rugs in these suite.
  • Checking pipes, gutters, and air conditioners regularly to avoid potential leaks and water damage.

Takeaway

Black mold is a type of plant that thrives in damp areas and tends to grow on natural materials. long-run exposure to black mold may cause symptoms in some people, particularly those with metabolism conditions, so much as asthma attack.

Eliminating mold and keeping suite clean and dry can help prevent issues. In people experiencing allergic reaction or poisoning symptoms, a range of OTC and prescription medications can help provide relief.

Was this page helpful?
(0 votes)
What are the effects of black mold exposure?
End of the article